How do we collect information?
We obtain personal information from you in a number of ways, including when you:
- Enquire about rehoming an animal in person, over the phone or via electronic means e.g. via social media,
- Hand an animal over to us either as a relinquishment, or bring wildlife in for rehabilitation,
- Apply to be a volunteer or member of staff,
- Make a donation, sponsor or adopt an animal,
- Enter raffles and competitions,
- Post comments on our social media pages,
- Buy items from our charity shop, at events or online,
- Visit our website,
- Register to leave us a legacy,
- Subscribe to a receive newsletters,
- Attend our events as a stall holder.
What information do we collect?
The information we collect depends on your reason for coming to our shelter, visiting our website or charity shop or coming to one of our events.
We may collect the following:
- Name, address, post code, telephone number, email address and public user profile information from social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.),
- Credit/debit card information, bank account details if setting up a direct debit.
- Records of correspondence, via letter, email, social media messaging.
- Information entered onto our website, e.g. enquiring about animals available for rehoming,
- Your image on CCTV when you visit our shelter and our charity shops or from pictures taken at our events,
- We may also ask for information on your home, the ages of any children, health or mobility so we can best match you to an animals’ needs during the rehoming process.
We may also obtain your personal information if you donate to us via third party services such as Just Giving and Paypal.
Why do we collect your information?
Our legal basis for processing your personal information covers consent, fulfilment of a contract, to allow us to comply with legal obligations, and for legitimate interest.
How might we use your information?
We may use your information:
- To respond to your requests for information
- During the reservation, home checking and adoption process and for follow-ups
- To collect donations, pick up domestic and wild animals as part of our rescue service,
- To process donations, gift aid and sponsorships
- To manage orders and delivery of items where applicable
- To communicate with staff and volunteers in relation to the roles they carry out
- To log a record of contact we have had with you to manage queries and complaints,
- To keep you up to date with news, fundraising events, campaigns etc
We do not sell your details and only use your information for direct marketing purposes if you have given us your consent to do so.
How might we share your information?
We will not share your information with other organisations for them to use for their own marketing purposes, or for our own marketing if you have told us you do not want us to contact you for this purpose.
There are circumstances where we do share information and these include:
- To assist in reuniting you with a lost animal or to update microchipping databases,
- If we are asked to do so by the Police
- To send gift aid details to HMRC so we can claim the VAT back on your donations,
- Petplan insurance to set up your free cover period,
- If we need to report an incident to the Health and Safety Executive.
How long might we hold on to your information?
We will retain your personal details for different periods of time depending on the circumstances. Financial information may be held for 7 years, and adoption details may be retained for much longer, dependent on the expected life of the animal. Some information may be kept indefinitely, e.g. for legacies.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on your data protection rights please visit: https://ico.org.uk.
Animals In Need Northamptonshire – Incorporating Maxicare Stray Dog Rehoming
Registered charity number 1068222
Last revised March 2019